Featured Post

BFRC

I am posting this as a benchmark, not because I think I'm playing very well yet.  The idea would be post a video every month for a ye...

Monday, February 14, 2022

Before and After

 Before working on musical adaptations of poetry, I often thought that the performance of the poem (certain kinds of performances) was a way of adding a spurious kind of performativity that the poem didn't really need. Because a bad reading of the poem in a stentorian voice was a bad reading, one that detracted from the poem rather than adding anything to it.  

And I also disliked musical settings that seemed to do that to the poem: superimposing a cruder musical structure on the more delicate music of the prosody itself. 

I still think that on certain days. That is, the prosody of the poem itself is already musical, and the music setting overrides this, making it impossible to perceive any more.  

No comments: